Hello friends! Sorry for the long break – we have been visiting family in California for a couple weeks. Lucky me – one of the things we did while we were in California was visit an alpaca ranch. The owner knew her stuff, knew the business side of things and the history and culture behind raising alpaca. Listening to her describe her farm (and checking out the baby alpacas) opened my eyes to the allure – and the nitty gritty SCARY details of running this niche business. I wondered what made her dare to take this risk. Which prompted the follow-up question:
If I (or you) dared to, what outrageous thing would I (or you) do?
If you made a list of daring things to do, what would it look like? Try it. Set a timer for 2 minutes – or 5 minutes if you’re feeling inspired. Write like mad about the mad, crazy, obnoxious, unorthodox, YOU (or un-YOU) things you might do, if you dared. Have fun with it – unleash that wild side. What does your list look like?
Some ideas to get you started:
- Include daring physical feats – what sports fantasies did you have as a child?
- Consider artistic yearnings – did you wish you could be an artist, a musician, a dancer?
- Think of crazy career fantasies. Anyone dream of becoming an astronaut when they grow up?
- What about personal relationship dreams? Wish you could have 18 kids, even though it sounds crazy? How about half a dozen husbands (or wives)? Do you wish you were the head of an enormous family?
- What do YOU come up with?
If I dared to, I might:
- Dye my hair red
- Hire a personal trainer to get into Linda Hamilton/Terminator II physical condition
- Borrow or rent a ridiculously fast and expensive car and drive across the backroads of the country – leaving the kids behind!
- Jump out of a plane
- Run a marathon
- Play a part in a play or musical – or act as an extra in a movie
- Audition for my church choir
- Write and submit a proposal for a community college or continuing education class
- Give up on working for the Man for good and set up my own consulting business
- Submit my book manuscript to top literary agents
- Go fire walking
- Race in a triathlon
- Travel in a foreign country – alone
- Hike the Appalachian Trail
- Go whitewater rafting through the Grand Canyon
- Enter a big poker tournament
- Take up professional ballroom dancing
- Rent a booth at an art fair and put my photos up for sale
- Learn how to shoot a gun (despite favoring much stricter gun control!)
- Become a yoga instructor
- Live in a tree house
- Live off the grid
- Learn survival skills
Once you’re done with YOUR list, take a look at it. Hopefully many of the ideas on your list make you smile. You may find that your items can be grouped into different groups, based on how much they tug at you. Some of the items may be pure fantasy, and are included for fun but don’t particularly move you. You might like to brag about doing them to friends – but whether you get around to those particular items or not won’t affect your own valuation of your life. On the other hand, some of the items might make you think or make you wonder. What would your life be like if you could do something about those items – even in a small way? Pick one or two of the most intriguing items – the ones that you think could make you more like the person you really want to be. Ask yourself: Is there ANYTHING I can do in this area?
And share! I’d love to know
What would you do – if you dared?